I was just reading an article on the impending water shortage. Most of us are totally in the dark about it, but for years, people who track such things have been warning that our water usage is coming close to surpassing the world’s available fresh water supply. MIT’s Technology Review magazine was writing about it a decade ago.
If you’re a forward-looking entrepreneur, there’s tremendous potential here, and still some time to do something about it.
You can try to be part of the solution:
- Develop new desalinization technology.
- Create distribution systems to help water most quickly move to where it is needed most.
- Reduce the cost of waste treatment.
- Breed less water-intensive crops.
If you’d rather be part of the problem:
- Buy up water rights and start jacking up the prices.
- Heck, buy up water itself and store it away where you can later sell it for high prices.
This is a long-term strategy, but since we don’t seem to be looking ahead as a race to solve this problem, we’ll have to do it as individuals and businesses.