This site has been relocated to http://www.GetItDoneGroups.com
After almost two decades of self-employment, I’ve realized that frankly, I haven’t made nearly as much progress as I’ve wanted, on any level: career, specific 2-3 year initiatives, etc. Some deep self-reflection has led me to realize that when it comes to managing myself, I’m just not very good at it.
The times I’ve been most successful have been when someone else was involved. My “Do-it Days” are a one-day exercise in using group accountability to have a productive day, and people routinely say they’re the most productive days they’ve ever had.
If people contact can make such a difference in one day, maybe it can also help across weeks and/or months for larger initiatives. I’m creating a program to try this out.
The basic idea is simple: we’ll provide accountability for each other, the way a manager would. We’ll share our long-term goals and initiatives. When we get stalled, we’ll help each other get unstuck. When we get distracted, we’ll help each other get back on track. When we’re scared or procrastinating, we’ll help each other move forward.
Though there will be some tips and techniques, this isn’t about tons of tips or classes. It isn’t about efficiency—doing things quickly—it’s about effectiveness—spending your time doing the tasks that will move you forward. Better to do the right task inefficiently than be super-efficient at going in the wrong direction.
I want to run a pre-pilot to validate the idea, and find out what kind of formats work for people. This pre-pilot is by invitation only, for a very small number of people, and it will be a highly interactive program. Here’s my current thinking about how it will work:
- You’ll choose one primary area to make progress on for the duration of the program. It can be a development goal (e.g. starting a new initiative, developing a new product) or an operational goal (e.g. I need to make sure to do daily prospecting, and get in the habit of looking at my financials weekly)
- You’ll do daily check-ins with an accountabilibuddy. These will be structured, rapid (5-10 minutes), and will be designed to make sure your to-do list aligns with your longer-term goals.
- In the event that you’re stuck, your accountabilibuddy will help you get unstuck. If you can’t get moving quickly, you can escalate to me if needed and I’ll help.
- You’ll watch or attend the kick-off webinar in which I outline the process and initial tools we’ll use.
- I’ll provide a process and tools for helping get unstuck if you aren’t making measurable progress on your important goal. The tools will be oriented around accountabilibuddy interactions, not necessarily tools to use in isolation.
- I’ll provide weekly Do-It Days to help you keep moving on your important goal. Unlike regular Do-It Days, all attendees will be asked to work at least half the day on projects that actually move their long-term goals forward.
- I’ll provide open office hours every week to coach you around anywhere you’re stuck or having difficulty
- I’ll teach tools for helping with: procrastination, interruptions, fear, perfectionism, distraction / going off course, aligning your daily/weekly/monthly/yearly goals. (If you decide to use a tool, you’ll incorporate it into your daily accountabilibuddy checkins)
Current plans are for the pre-pilot to run 3.5 weeks, from Monday March 5 to Wednesday March 28.
This is exploratory, and I’ll be creating modules and selecting tools to meet the needs of this group. We’ll be designing the experience together.
As such, the pricing reflects that it’s an unfinished program and I’m getting great value out of your participation. My current thinking is that the eventual program will likely be a $2,000+ program. The cost for the pre-pilot will be 87.5% off: $250.
What I need from you in addition to money, however, is commitment to a high level of engagement, a willingness to share feedback, and taking some responsibility for helping me make this extremely effective and useful. Plus provide a testimonial if you like the program.
I recorded a 10-minute video where I describe my thoughts in a bit more detail. Please disregard the dates mentioned in the video.
Please feel free to reach out via email or phone if you have questions and would like to discuss the program.